“there’s nowt like a bit of competition”
Shipston Town Band and many of its members are dab hands at either entering and coming away with the silverware or putting up a creditable effort in local and national competitions.
This page is dedicated to the extra effort put in by the many capable musicians of Shipston Town Bands
Shipston Town Band are victorious at Oxford Contest
On Sunday, February 26th, Shipston Town Band conducted by Howard Gibbs competed at Marlborough School in Woodstock in the Annual Competition organised by the Oxford and District Brass Band Association.
Playing against nine other bands drawn from the Midlands, London Counties and the South West they performed St. Andrew's Variations by the Scottish composer Alan Fernie and were placed first by the adjudicator Nicholas Garman who complimented them on their sound and good ensemble playing. He awarded them 191 points out of a possible 200.
In two weeks time the band will be competing in the Midland Area Championships at Bedworth and will be hoping to enjoy further success.
Eight 'Spring' A Super Start
To Their 2017 Solo Events
Eight of Shipston Town Band’s talented youngsters travelled to Woodstock for the 70th Annual Brass Festival organised by the Oxford Brass Bands Association.
It was especially pleasing that every single member of the groups featured in the prizes. The two youngest competitors Peter Coates (cornet) and Rufus Gallagher were first in the Eight-and-Under Section. Alec Bown, Kieran Bown and Tallula Matthews were placed first, second and third out of fifteen competitors in the Nine, Ten and Eleven-Year Old group.
Luke Barker was placed first in the Twelve, Thirteen and Fourteen age group with Grace Coates being place third in the Fifteen to Eighteen age group. The duets were equally impressive. Alec Banner and Tallula Matthews were second in the Under-Eleven Duets. Luke Barker and Bethan Bown were victorious in the Under-Fifteen age group and Luke Barker and Grace Coates were victorious in the Under-Nineteen Group.
The Under-Nineteen Quartet played very impressively without a conductor and containing two nine-year-olds were placed first. In a special section for advanced technically demanding music Luke Barker was placed first and Grace Coates third. Nine-year-old Alec Banner showed his versatility by playing a xylophone solo to win the percussion section to complete a very successful day.
West Midlands Brass Bands Association
Solo Duet and Quartet Contest
Summary of Results
Studley High School - Sunday May 7th 2017
Adjudicators Paul White and Warren Bellshaw
Solo 8 Years and Under
1. Lily Strentz (Tuba) - The Shirley Band
2. Peter Coates (Bb Cornet) - Shipston Town Band
3. Rufus Gallagher (Trombone) - Shipston Town Band
Ben Angell (Bb Cornet) - Bilton Evolution
Solo 9, 10 and 11 Years
1. Alec Banner (Bb Cornet) - Shipston Town Band
2. Felicity Angell (Trombone) - Bilton Evolution
3. Freddie Hunter (Tuba) - Arrow Valley Brass
Solo 12, 13 and 14 Years
1. Luke Barker (Bb Cob Cornet) - Shipston Town Band
2. Christopher Oddy (Bb Cornet) - The Enderby Band
3. Becky Strentz (Bb Cornet) - The Shirley Band
Solo 15 to 18 Years
1. Callum Davis (Tuba) - Arrow Valley Brass
2. Grace Coates (Bb Cornet) - Shipston Town Band
3. Tom Cowen (Bb Euphonium) Bilton Evolution
1. Stephen Lomas (Bass Trombone) - The Brighouse and Rastrick Band
2. Patricia Woodings (Eb Horn) - The Newhall Band
3. Jodie Fisher (Bb Euphonium) - Bilton Silver (Rugby) Band
Air Varie Solo 14 Years and Under
1. Becky Strentz (Bb Cornet)- The Shirley Band
2. Luke Barker (Bb Cob Cornet) - Shipston Town Band
3. Christopher Oddy (Bb Cornet) - The Enderby Band
Air Varie Solo 15 to 18 Years
1 Grace Coates (Bb Cob Cornet) - Shipston Town Band
Air Varie Adult
1. Stephen Lomas (Bass Trombone) - The Brighouse and Rastrick Band
2. Patricia Woodings (Eb Horn)- The Newhall Band
3. Neil Kelsall (Bb Euphonium) - Bilton Silver (Rugby) Band
Duet 11 years and under
1. Ben Angell and Felicity Angell (Cornet/Trombone) - Bilton Evolution
2. Alec Banner and Tallula Matthews (Cornets) - Shipston Town Band
Duet 14 years and under
1. Vicki Culshaw and Isabelle Reeves (Cornets) - Arrow Valley Brass
2. Ben Murray and Jacob Thomson (Cornets) - Bilton Evolution
3. Imogen Angell and Jacob Thomson (Cornets) - Bilton Evolution
Duet 18 years and under
1. Luke Barker and Grace Coates Cornets Shipston
2. Hannah Durkin and Callum Davis (Horn and Tuba) - Arrow Valley Brass
3. Cara McQuillan and William Thomson (Cornets) - Bilton Evolution
1. Neil Kelsall and Samantha Edwards Euphoniums Bilton
2. Samantha Edwards and Jodie Fisher (Euphonium and Cornet) - Bilton Brass Band
Quartet 14 years and under
1. Bilton Evolution 1
2. Bilton Evolution 2
3. Fame Brass Ensemble
Quartet 18 years and under
1 Bilton Evolution
1.Shirley Brass Band
2.Arrow Valley Tubas
Special Awards Youngest Boy:
Ben Angell - Bilton Evolution
Lily Strentz - Shirley Brass Band
This year’s competition was held once again at Studley High School and provided a lot of success for our young competitors.
In the Eight-Years-and-Under Solo Peter Coates was place second and Rufus Gallagher third.
Alec Banner emerged victorious in the Nine-, Ten- and Eleven-Years Solo9.
Luke Barker won the Twelve to Fourteen Solo and Grace Coates was placed second in the Fifteen-to-Eighteen Solo.
Alec Banner and Tallula Matthews were placed second in the Ten-and-Under Duet.
Luke Barker and Grace Coates were placed first in the Fifteen-to-Eighteen Duets.
In the Air Varie Section Luke Barker was placed second in the Fourteen-and-Under Section and Grace Coates was placed first Fifteen-to-Eighteen Age Group.
All the competitors were very grateful for the excellent accompaniment from our pianist Paul Webber.
Coventry Solo Contest, Bablake School - Sunday, 25th June 2017
Saw a number of the Bands youngsters travell to Coventry for this annual competition and it proved a successful day as the youngsters returned with a number of awards and trophies.
Youngest Girl: Tallula Matthews
Solos (Ten-Years-and-Under): Second Place: Alec Banner; Third Place: Tallula Matthews.
Solos (Fifteen Years-and-Under): Luke Barker
Air Varie (Eighteen Years and Under): First Place: Luke Barker; Third Place: Grace Coates.
Percussion: First Place: Alec Banner
Duet (Fourteen-Years-and-Under): First Place: Alec Banner and Tallula Matthews
Duet (Open Age): First Place: Luke Barker and Grace Coates
Quartet (Under-Nineteen-Years): First Place: Shipston Cornets: Luke Barker, Grace Coates, Bethan Bown and Kieran Bown.
Eight-year-old trombonist Rufus Gallagher and Nine-year-old cornet player Peter Coates also gave creditable performances in a large Ten-Years-and-Under section.
Good Day For
Shipston Youngsters Despite Being 'Sent To Coventry!' On A Sunday